|ASSESSMENT 1 BRIEF|
|Subject Code and Title||MGT603: Systems Thinking|
|Assessment||Part A: Proposal Individual (500 Words)|
Part B: Critique (500 Words)
|Length||Part A: One (1) Original Post (maximum 500 words)|
Part B: Two (2) Critiques, Each critique max. 250 words
|a) Critically evaluate the paradigms of Systems Thinking|
conceptualization and its application to contemporary business issues
|Weighting||Part A: 20%|
Part B: 20%
|Total Marks||Part A: 20 marks|
Part B: 20 marks
Systems thinking requires us to take a holistic view of the world we live in and the organisations we work with. This assessment has been prescribed to appraise students’ ability to think holistically and generate discussion around recognising and understanding organisational operations using a Systems Thinking lens. The assessment will broaden students’ knowledge of and appreciation for using a different approach to look for and solve problems faced by managers in contemporary organisations.
This assessment has been designed to:
- Appraise your ability to academically research and evaluate paradigms of Systems Thinking conceptualisation and apply to contemporary businessissues.
- You are expected to utilise the literature provided in Modules 1 to 3.1 in your analysis and discussion, and are required to apply critical thinking, presenting multi-sided findings.
- Successful completion of this assessment will help you to further understand Systems Thinking in a practical context. It will also help you to maintain currency in the increasingly changing industry.
Guidelines: There are two (2) parts to MGT603 Assessment 1. For an acceptable result, you will need to complete both Part A and Part B of MGT603 Assessment 1.
MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part A):
- Please review the MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part A) list of case organisations (found in the Assessment 1 – Part A Proposal Individual & Part B Critique Individual page on MGT603 Blackboard).
- From the MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part A) list of case organisations, only choose ONE
- case organisation for MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part A).
- Read and research widely on the selected case organisation and find out how “COVID- 19 Pandemic” has created a significant issue/challenge/problem for your selected case organisation in 2021 and how “Systems Thinking Approach” can assist in making optimal decisions.
- You are then required to prepare and post in the Assessment 1 Discussion Forum at least ONE (1) original post identifying intended or unintended consequences on various stakeholders of your chosen organisation and then recommend/propose alternative policies/procedures using Systems Thinking approach to help overcome theproblem.
Key points to consider in your MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part A):
§ Your proposal should be “holistic”.
§ You must include references to “Systems Thinking Literature”. Please make sure to use at least 3 academic-related references (e.g. peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and conference papers) and at least 2 other references (e.g. newspaper, magazines, websites, etc.). It is essential to use appropriate APA style for citing and referencing research.
§ Make sure to consider using Systems Thinking tools such as Rich Picture and CATWOE in your MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part A).
- Make sure to number all sections and sub-sections within your assessment (e.g. 1, 1.1, etc.).
- All inserted Figures and Tables within the assessment require being labelled and numbered appropriately (e.g. Figure 1: Rich Picture …., Table 1: CATWOE Analysis
….). They all require being initially stated/introduced and then discussed in-detail and in-depth. Please make sure to provide the source/reference for the information expressed via the Figures and Tables.
§ Make sure to provide a brief rational of why it is important to use Systems Thinking and relevant tools and techniques to solve the identified organisational problem to minimize adverse consequences.
§ Please make sure to write in the “third person” (e.g. The author, The writer, etc.).
§ Please ensure your original posts are submitted in the MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part
A) Discussion Forum by the end of Module 2.2 (Friday of Week 4).
MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part B):
1. Each student is required to critique an original post (Part A) of two (2) peers.
- Each Critique should be maximum of 250 words. Overall your Assessment 1 (Part B) should be maximum of 500 words.
- Your Critique should include commentary on:
- Whether the original post is holistic. Please identify missing components, if any, and provide constructive feedback.
- Have all plausible consequences been identified?
- Have Systems Thinking tools been used and used properly? Please provide a critique of these tools and their use in solving the identified problem.
- Please make sure to highlight the authors of the chosen posts.
- Please ensure to submit Assessment 1 (Part B) in the related Discussion Forum Thread, by the end of Module 3.1 (Friday of Week 5)
- It is essential that you use appropriate APA style for citing and referencing research where necessary and required.
Key points to consider in your MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part B):
§ This assessment is designed to create robust discussion around Systems Thinking with your peers. Please feel free to post more than what is specified to broaden your understanding and appreciation of the topic.
§ While presenting your views, you are required to support claims either with the relevant experience or with the published literature (e.g. Journal articles, book chapters, relevant website links, news article, magazines).
§ The views could be supporting comments and feedback, or they may be a contradiction, but you need to provide appropriate justification as specified above.
§ If referring to published literature to support stated views, you are required to cite the reference(s) and list the reference(s) at the end of your response in the “References” section. If you can provide appropriate articles to support an opinion, it will be valued considerably.
§ Along with actively participating in the discussions, it is equally important to provide responses, which are relevant and add value to the discussion. The quality of response will be considered as one of the most important criteria for evaluating students in MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part B).
MGT03 Assessment 1 (Part A) and (Part B) Submission Instructions:
- Submit MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part A) via the MGT603 Assessment 1 Part A
- Discussion Forum link in the Assessment section found in the main navigation menu of the subject Blackboard site.
- Submit MGT603 Assessment 1 (Part B) via the MGT603 Assessment 1 Part B - Discussion Forum link in the Assessment section found in the main navigation menu of the subject Blackboard site.
The Learning Facilitator will provide constructive feedback via the Grade