HLTWHS003 Maintain Work Health and Safety Assessment Answer
Short answer questions
- a) Identify five sections within this generic WHS policy (provided in Appendix 1) that you would discuss with employees during WHS induction.
|1.||To know about the legal consequences and any repercussion effects of the unintentional breach|
|2.||Harmonious workplace and productivity.|
|3.||Policies and the hours of working and the clear on expectations, performance, and behaviors.|
|4.||Workplace health and safety|
|5.||Spill leaks and the breaches intentional or unintentional (Anderson-Reeves,2017)|
b) Explain why it is important that new employees receive WHS education specific to the organization. Your answer must be a minimum of 25 words but no longer than 75 words.
|Through the WHS education specific to education, it would help to improve employee retention rates and even aim for productivity. It helps in maintaining a harmonious workplace, induction process is a perfect opportunity which can further explain the policies aimed at the workplace, and making both the managers and workers to know what are the clear expectations, performance, and behaviors (Anderson-Reeves, 2017).|
2. Describe how you will explain safe housekeeping practices to the new employees during WHS induction. Include in your response to the importance of adhering to these standards. Your answer must be a minimum of 100 words but no longer than 200 words.
3. Describe how you would explain and demonstrate:
a. chemical storage of cleaning products in the workplace
b. dealing with a faulty piece of equipment in the workplace.
Your answer must be a minimum of 50 words but no longer than 150 words.
a. The chemical storage is the dangerous goods and the threats can be causing oxidizing the substance in the free air, which can cause the flammable and combustible substances that have to be stored in a distant place. It can further cause the problem of the ignition sources that is the flames, heat, sunlight, static electricity which can potentially cause a spark. it should be store in the darkroom and the closed sealed jars (Gooding, 2019).
b. To deal with the faulty piece in the workplace, it should be checked, reported and the necessary action of taking it for the repair, can help to avoid any necessary problem. The faulty equipment should be decommissioned and eliminated from the work area and disposed of.
4. Identify two ways an organization monitors whether safety procedures are performed in accordance with its WHS policies and procedures.
|The organization timely conducts the audits internally and also calling the external auditors, who prepare the report in compliance with the WHS policies and the procedures. It is necessary to identify the hazards in the workplace checkpoints of the physical work environment, the tests to be performed and to check for the equipment, materials, and substance along with the work design and management (Lian, 2017)|
|2.||Then assessing risks distinguishing urgency and the severity, monitor the control measures, and continuously improve.|
5. Identify two things you would encourage new employees to do to contribute to the WHS in the workplace and participate in consultative activities.
The new employees can be guided to how to use the polices, legislation and the various rules to make them part of the working system.
|2.||Understand the legislation and the implications of it, to be applied effectively (Regan, 2017).|
Part 2: Case Study Scenario 2 and Short Answer Questions
Read the Case Study Scenario below and complete your written responses to the questions in the spaces provided.
Case Study Scenario:
Samantha (educator) was making changes to the environment to make it aesthetically pleasing to the children and families. Samantha leaned the ladder against the wall and started to climb the ladder. Samantha had thongs on. As she was climbing the ladder, she slipped on the ladder rung and fell off the ladder hitting her head on a table and falling to the floor. Samantha’s head was bleeding and she was lying on the floor dazed.
Her co-educator Emma immediately grabbed a piece of material and placed it on Samantha’s head to stop the bleeding. There was blood on Emma’s hands.
Short answer questions
- a) Identify three hazards in the case study.
The first hazard was placing the ladder and trying to experiment by pleasing families and wearing thongs while climbing up. The physical hazards were the number one case, with the common workplace hazards, including vibration and then experiencing the noise and slips, trips and falls;
|2.||As she fell, she hit her head on the table and slipped on the floor. The common hazard experienced was the ergonomic hazards, the next physical factors which can cause the harm is of the musculoskeletal system, includes the repetitive movement, manual handling along with experiencing the poor body positioning;|
|3.||By placing the piece of material and pressing on the head to stop bleeding, Emma has caused more potential damage. As it can cause sepsis and it can further cause more infection (Wang, 2017).|
b) What is the potential safety risk of these hazards?
The potential safety risks can cause infection, sepsis problems, and even can cause death, if not treated adequately (Wang, 2017).
2. a) Describe your actions in response to your risk assessment including the reporting process, in accordance with WHS legislation and workplace policies and procedures. Your answer must be a minimum of 20 words but no longer than 50 words.
|The actions would have been a substitute hazard and placing something safer, to isolate hazards and make it away from the people, to further reduce the risks through engineering controls. To minimize the exposure to the hazard by using extensive administrative actions. Lastly to utilize personal protective equipment (Wong, et al, 2019)|
b) Using the form provided here, complete a workplace incident report for this event.
PLEASE CHECK FORM ATTACHED TO THE END
3. Your manager asks you to suggest strategies that could be used to implement risk controls in response to these hazards. Describe two strategies you could suggest. Your answer must be a minimum of 25 words but no longer than 75 words.
The first strategy would be timely in evaluating the workplace for any necessary inspections, observations, and checkpoints. If required training the employees about the potential hazards and even asking them to inform and remain alert.
The next strategy would be to continuously improve, eliminate the fault repairments, and even using the hazard correction systems.
4. Your manager asks you to provide WHS education to your work colleagues as a risk control strategy.
Describe two topics you could address about workplace policies and procedures and legislation? Your answer must be a minimum of 15 words but no longer than 50 words.
The first step is to eliminate the hazard, to constantly monitor the risks and the hazards. The steps would be to substitute hazards with something safer, then checking for the Isolate hazard from people, further to reduce risks through engineering controls. The next step would be to minimize including the exposure to the hazard using administrative actions and then utilize personal protective equipment
5. You have provided WHS education to your work colleagues as a risk control strategy. One of your colleagues agreed to get their equipment checked by the WHS supervisor however was not happy to remove the paper clutter. How will you manage this situation? Your answer must be a minimum of 10 words but no longer than 30 words.
|To remove the paper clutter, I will show an example, how it is important to remove and reduce the potential hazard and even show dirt contamination and how to trash it.|